The primary mission of the matchmakers’ profession is to provide quality introductions to singles. Matchmakers seek to enhance the capacity of people to address their personal and social needs.
This mission is rooted in a set of core values. These core values, embraced by Certified Matchmakers™ throughout the Matchmaking Institute’s history, are the foundation of Certified Matchmakers’ unique purpose and perspective:
This constellation of core values reflects what is unique to the matchmaking profession.
Purpose of the Code of Ethics
Professional ethics are at the core of Professional Matchmakers. The profession has an obligation to articulate its basic values, ethical principles, and ethical standards. The Matchmaking Institute’s Code of Ethics sets forth these values, principles, and standards to guide Professional Matchmakers’ conduct. The Code is relevant to all matchmakers who are a Member of the International Professional Matchmakers Association, regardless of their professional functions, the settings in which they work, or the populations they serve.
This Code of Ethics Serves Six purposes
1. The Code identifies core values that all Professional Matchmakers should share.
2. The Code summarizes broad ethical principles that reflect the profession’s core values and establishes a set of specific ethical standards that should be used to guide matchmaker practice.
3. The Code is designed to help matchmakers identify relevant considerations when professional obligations conflict or ethical uncertainties arise.
4. The Code provides ethical standards to which the general public can hold the Matchmaking Profession accountable.
5. The Code addresses matchmakers new to the field having them adhere to their mission, values, ethical principles, and ethical standards.
6. The Code articulates standards that the matchmaking profession itself can use to assess whether Professional Matchmakers have engaged in unethical conduct.
Ethical principles are based on Matchmakers core values of service, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, and competence. These principles set forth ideals to which all matchmakers should aspire.
Matchmakers’ primary goal is to help people gain quality introductions.
Matchmakers elevate service to others above self-interest. Matchmakers draw on their knowledge, values, and skills to help people achieve their goal. And Matchmakers act as professionals to maintain and elevate the industry as a whole.
The following ethical standards are relevant to the professional activities of all matchmakers. These standards concern (1) matchmakers’ ethical responsibilities to clients, (2) matchmakers’ ethical responsibilities to colleagues, (3) matchmakers’ ethical responsibilities in practice settings, (4) matchmakers’ ethical responsibilities as professionals, (5) matchmakers’ ethical responsibilities to the Matchmaking Profession. (6) matchmaker’s ethical responsibilities to the public
Articles Code of Practice:
Approved Members of the Professional Matchmakers Association shall:
1. Adhere to the highest quality standards in the industry;
2. Be dedicated to a client’s right to a personal, supportive and professional service at all times;
3. Maintain a strict confidentiality of all client accounts and not divulge, discuss or otherwise exploit any restricted material related to client profile, status or record of activity; All information supplied by the client shall not be divulged, without the prior consent of the client, to any other person or party except those of your clients who have agreed beforehand to have their details given to other Members.
4. Take the utmost care to deliver the highest standard of service for total customer satisfaction and be subject to evaluations correlating to client assessments;
5. Do their best to ensure that every client receives the attention and respect they deserve, respond to inquiries in a timely fashion and offer complete and clear answers;
6. Be diligent when qualifying all potential matches on behalf of your clients with a personalized approach from beginning to end; respect colleagues when collaboration is required to find a match for your client
7. Be subject to mandatory professional review for biennial re-approval, in accordance with the Matchmaking Institute’s guidelines; participate in continued education such as attending Conferences and seminars for your personal development, continuously seek professional advancement to keep up with the latest developments in the dating industry
8. Have a complaint response policy in place to address any and all consumer complaints and concerns;
9. Diligently adhere to all applicable Federal, State and Local laws relating to the industry.
• MMs must not engage in high pressure selling.
• Offer and maintain clear terms of agreement for clients.
• Make truthful and accurate representation, displaying the agency’s policy and refund policy, and providing clear pricing and payment terms at the time that client is ready to sign.
• Ensure privacy and information security in order to maintain the confidentiality and security of personal information relating to clients.
Code of Practice in Ads and Marketing:
• Keeping in mind where and what media affects the image of the industry.
• Avoid inaccurate, ambiguous, exaggerated or liable to be misconstrued when advertising. Engage in truthful advertising and promotions, and the requirements to comply with existing legislation and regulation.
• Advertisements must not contain the words ‘guarantee’ or ‘guaranteed’ unless the full terms of such undertakings as well as the remedial action open to a client are either clearly set out in the advertisement or are available to the client in writing before any monies are paid.
• State the nature of your business clearly and honestly and Provide appropriate contact information for public inquiries. Disclose the terms and conditions of the service, making truthful and accurate representation.
Any certified matchmakers, dating or matchmaking agencies that display our seal with 3 or more violations and/or unresolved disputes will have their certification revoked. In some cases, depending on the violation, the certification may be revoked immediately upon the first violation.
Code of Ethics Review and Update
The Matchmaking Institute’s Code of Ethics document will be reviewed, updated as needed, posted on our website and distributed on an annual basis to all relevant parties.